Screen Printing on Cardboard Shipping Boxes

Jun 29, 2020 | Cricut Projects, Project Ideas, Screen Printing, Vinyl Projects

This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.

how to screen print cardboard boxes packaging

Recently, I decided to add a branded touch to my shipping boxes.  I’ve had an overwhelming response to my transfer tape and have been sending out lots of boxes.  These boxes were looking a little plain so I decided to screen print on them!

Screen printing on cardboard boxes is a great way to add your logo or “happy mail” quickly and easily.

If you are new to screen printing with vinyl, beginners should start here.  I even have a step-by-step guide to screen printing for beginners.  Once you have mastered screen printing on fabric, there are so many other things you can screen print on.

If you are looking for a more in-depth tutorial, I have additional videos in my Maker’s CircleJoin today to get instant access to tutorials where I talk through the process and explain more about each project.

screen printing boxes speedball acrylic

Supplies Used for Screen Printing on Boxes

speedball acrylic ink tutorial tips

Tips for Screen Printing on Boxes

Screen printing on boxes (or any paper type surface) is a little different than screen printing on t-shirts.  With fabric, the ink absorbs into the fibers so you need to squeegee a good amount of ink through to cover your entire design.

With a cardboard surface, the ink will stay on top rather than soaking in.  This means you don’t want to push too much ink through.  Excess ink will lead to bleeding under your vinyl design.

In order to get a nice crisp print, one thin coat should be enough.

personalizing diy packaging etsy business

Flooding the Screen

I like to flood my screen for this type of printing.  This means squeegeeing a coat of ink over the design BEFORE it is touching the box.  Then, with a firm pressure, squeegee the ink over the design again with the screen on the box.

Choosing the Right Squeegee

Another trick when printing on cardboard boxes or paper, is to use a Graphic Squeegee rather than a fabric squeegee.  This type of squeegee has a firmer rubber piece that helps you get a nice, thin coat of ink.  I started this project using my fabric squeegee but it was allowing too much ink through the screen and caused some bleeding.  I switched to the Graphic Squeegee and it was so much easier!

Watch How I Screen Print on 200 Boxes

Want to Know More?

If you are really excited about screen printing and you want to perfect the process, I’m sharing even more tips and tricks on this project in my Maker’s Circle this week.  This is a membership group of crafters who want to improve their screen printing skills, connect with other makers, and grow their creative business.

Join today for instant access to more in-depth tutorials as I explain the process in real time.

20 Comments

1. This is awesome! Thank you for the tips. Just wondering where you bought the boxes from, I’m having a hard time finding boxes at a decent price.

• When I need a bunch, I order from Uline.

2. These look awesome. I always like offset printing techniques but the screen printing examples you mentioned above are outstanding.

3. Hi! I am wondering if you know any other cheaper ink that can be used for boxes? Thank you

4. Thankx for sharing this article. Its really informative article. I really enjoy your site I am waiting for new article.

5. This is awesome! Thank you for the tips. Just wondering where you bought the boxes from, I’m having a hard time finding boxes at a decent price.

6. I’ve been trying to do this for my boxes. The first one was ok but the ink missed some spots. Then I haven’t been able to get it right. I’m practicing in pieces of cardboard. Mostly the issue is that the print is very uneven, missing spots. Do the ridges on the cardboard disturb the ink? Should I swipe parallel with the ridges, or does it make a difference? It looks so easy seeing the video. I’m using the squeegee (graphic side) and ink (for fabric) that came with the kit. Should I use something different?
    Thanks for any help you can give.

• Hi! You might want to look at upgrading to this squeegee: https://amzn.to/2Ab8nov. It will help give you a little more pressure to get that even coverage. The ridges in the cardboard can cause some uneven ink coverage. I like to squeegee the same direction as the ridges. You might also look at different box brands to find one that doesn’t have as much texture. The ones I used in this post are pretty smooth.

7. That’s an great to know this . happy to get to know amazing facts and tips .

keep the good work continue .

Best,
    Eli

8. نکاتی برای چاپ سیلک روی جعبه ها
    چاپ سیلک روی جعبه ها (یا هر نوع نوع کاغذی) با چاپ روی تی شرت ها کمی متفاوت است. با استفاده از پارچه ، جوهر به الیاف جذب می شود ، بنابراین شما باید مقدار زیادی جوهر را از طریق فشردن کل طرح خود بپوشانید.

با سطح مقوا ، جوهر به جای خیساندن در بالا می ماند. این بدان معناست که شما نمی خواهید جوهر بیش از حد فشار دهید. جوهر اضافی منجر به خونریزی در طراحی شما می شود.

برای اینکه بتوانید یک چاپ خوب تهیه کنید ، یک لایه نازک کافی است.

یک ترفند دیگر هنگام چاپ روی جعبه های مقوایی یا کارتن و یا کاغذ ، استفاده از اسکاچ گرافیکی است نه استفاده از اسکاج پارچه ای. این نوع جاروبرقی دارای یک قطعه لاستیکی محکم تر است که به شما کمک می کند تا یک جوهر نازک و خوب تهیه کنید.

9. انواع روش های چاپ جعبه :
    چاپ افست جعبه
    چاپ دیجیتال
    چاپ سیلک اسکرین
    چاپ فلکسو
    برای اطلاعات بیشتر به صفحه چاپ جعبه و بسته بندی مراجعه کنید.

10. انواع روش های چاپ جعبه :
    چاپ افست جعبه
    چاپ دیجیتال
    چاپ سیلک اسکرین
    چاپ فلکسو
    برای اطلاعات بیشتر به صفحه چاپ جعبه و بسته بندی مراجعه کنید.

11. I have read your article; it is very instructive and valuable to me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.

12. The information on this blog was really helpful for me and hopefully, it also helped other people as well. I really appreciate your hard work in maintaining this website. Thanks for providing this wonderful blog. We are an exalted printing and packaging company usa that has been providing its services for more than a decade. We are preferred because of our high-quality products and incredible delivery time.

13. Your blog is very informative and interesting to read and you explain everything very well with images. I learn many things from here. Thanks for writing it. We are an exalted printing and usa packaging company that has been providing its services for more than a decade. We are preferred because of our high-quality products and incredible delivery time.

14. Such awesome content. Your article is so informative. Thanks for sharing it and keep sharing. we are providing digital marketing services
    digital marketing services we know how to rank websites on Google first page

15. I am pleased to see your Content. The manner you describe packaging Benefits well in this Blog
    Custom Shoe Boxes