This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.
I recently had some requests on Instagram for a reverse canvas tutorial. This has been something I've wanted to try. I’m always up for a new screen printing challenge, so I gave it a shot. Here's a look at the process:
Things I Learned:
- Canvas doesn't take screen printing ink like cotton or other surfaces. I had some struggles with bleeding. I was able to get just the right amount of ink and pressure to get a good print, but it did take some trial and error.
- I tried [amazon_textlink asin='B0007ZHH3G' text='Speedball Acrylic ink' template='ProductLink' store='pigpig0b9-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='484fc47f-c190-40d7-905e-7f17a625f491′] first but settled on [amazon_textlink asin='B001038NLY' text='Speedball Fabric Ink' template='ProductLink' store='pigpig0b9-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='4949f392-4cea-4ec7-8010-7e3242d8e2c3′] because it was a little easier to use on the canvas surface.
- I did not heat press this even though it goes against my rule of always heat pressing Speedball Fabric Ink. Since I'm hanging it on my wall and not washing it, I skipped this step.
- The quality of the canvas material probably makes a difference. I was using the cheapest canvas packs I could find at Michaels.
- Reverse canvases are so easy to make and look so nice! I'll definitely be making more of these in the future.
- If I'm making just one canvas, I will most likely use HTV. But, if you want to make multiples of the same design, screen printing is the way to go (just budget a few extra canvases to practice!)
Supplies I Used in this Tutorial:
- Cricut Maker
- Handlettered Design by LindseyAshleyMakes (visit her Etsy shop to buy her screen printed totes!)
- 12×12 Canvas
- Oracal 651 Vinyl
- Transfer Tape (this stuff is the best for getting your vinyl to stick to the screen!)
- Speedball 10×14 frame
- Speedball Squeegee
- [amazon_textlink asin='B001038NLY' text='Speedball Fabric Ink' template='ProductLink' store='pigpig0b9-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='4949f392-4cea-4ec7-8010-7e3242d8e2c3′]
- Painter's Tape
- Stain or Paint
- Paint Brush
- [amazon_textlink asin='B000V1QV7O' text='Exacto Knife' template='ProductLink' store='pigpig0b9-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='c32cfb3b-7ff0-4b91-aeea-d4d9f30efa8b']
- [amazon_textlink asin='B0001MQHZ4′ text='Staple Gun' template='ProductLink' store='pigpig0b9-20′ marketplace='US' link_id='a8b408e1-f53a-41a7-af52-b00a63a7a8db']