Do you ask your kids, “How was your day?” and get the same non-enthusiastic response? They never go into detail about their day and leave you wanting to know more. Well, we decided to spark some more exciting dinner conversations. It started with just one question. My husband would ask the girls, “what did you try hard at today?” They looked forward to this question every night.
They were getting comfortable responding to this every night, so I thought it was time to mix it up. I wanted to challenge them to think about helping others and being grateful. I created a list of questions to get them thinking…. well, get us all thinking. Parents should participate too! See list of questions below.
Since it’s Easter time, I decided to hide a question in each egg. At dinner, we all pick an egg and answer the question inside. It has made for some great dinner conversations! I highly encourage families to give this a shot. I’ve included our question list below.
Here is a list of the questions we use in the eggs:
- What did you have to try hard at today?
- When did you feel most proud of yourself today?
- What was the nicest thing you did for someone else today?
- Did anyone do anything nice for you today?
- Who made you smile today?
- What was your biggest challenge today?
- What 3 words do you think most describe you?
- When was a time that you felt lucky?
- What is something you would like to get better at?
- What is your favorite thing that we do as a family?
- What is something you are good at?
- What is something you are thankful for?
- What is something you would like to learn how to do?
- What 3 words best describe our family?
- Name one friend and tell us what you like most about them.
- What is one thing you know how to do that you could teach others how to do?
- What is one of your favorite memories?
- What do you wish you had more time to do?
- What is something you wish you didn’t have to do?
- What should we do more of as a family?
- Name one thing you love about the person to your right.
- What is something you love to do?
- What is something you look forward to the most during the day?