Displaying Kids’ Artwork

Aug 21, 2011 | Around the House

This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. If you purchase something through the link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you.

With school starting up this week, I decided we needed a way to display all of the paintings and projects that our 3 year old brings home from preschool.

I took a strip of wood and painted it black.  Added a few metal clips and attached it to the wall:

Now, we’ll have a place to proudly display her artwork (rather than leaving it on the kitchen counter or cluttering the fridge).  It’s on the kitchen wall so this will give us a chance to talk about it each night at dinner.

Right above the art clips, I have framed a few of our favorites from the last 2 years of preschool.

I store all of the artwork and projects that come home in a box until the end of the year.  In the summer, we go through the box and pick our favorites.  I take our top 4 or 5 favorites and arrange them into a 12×12 frame and label them with her name and date.  Then, I photograph all the rest for the digital scrapbook or to use them as teacher thank you notes (see my teacher thank you note idea here).  Finally, I toss the artwork that doesn’t make the frame.  This helps reduce clutter around the house while still appreciating every piece of art that our kids make!

13 Comments

1. I love the binder clips on a strip! What a clever way to change out artwork any time you want. Your “gallery” turned out beautifully!!

2. This is brilliant and it looks fantastic! I love the favorites in the frames, but the clips on the wood strip are such a great idea!

I used to be a preschool and kindergarten teacher, and I would have really appreciated a thank you note like that!!

Jamie
    For Love of Cupcakes

3. I love this! Super cute.

4. What a good idea! Sure wish I would have see this last year. My son came home with all kids of pictures from preschool. But it will come in handy this year for kindergarten. Mow I just have to get around to making it:)

You will love having a vinyl privacy screen on your garage window! It really does go pretty fast and you will be surprised and the privacy. I thought that you would still be able to see in easily, but that is not the case. You eye looks at the design instead of what is inside. I guess it also helps that the areas to look in are pretty small.

I think small circles would look great on an arched window. Ovals, oh, maybe octagons? Good thing I have some other windows I can do this with:) My mom said I could just cit opaque contact paper and put on, by I really like the look of the diamonds. I can’t wait until it is closer to Halloween so I can replace a few of the white diamonds with black and orange ones.

• Thanks for the great ideas. I’m looking forward to giving it a shot! I’ll let you know when I do.

5. Awesome! My youngest is starting kindergarten (not sure if they do art in a half-day class yet…), and I’m sure we’ll be getting these masterpieces soon enough.

6. This turned out really cute. I am hoping to do something similar for my son’s artwork soon now that he has finally started preschool! We already have a little pile going and he only started at the beginning of this month. 🙂

7. Really appreciate you linking up this awesome post at Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop 🙂 Please continue sharing your creativity with us during the weekly party.

8. I love this idea and can’t wait to do it in my son’s room. How did you attach the clips to the strip of wood?

• I used E6000 Craft Glue. It was much easier than trying to nail them to the board. They seem to be holding up just fine. Good luck!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pigskins & Pigtails » Blog Archive » Teacher Appreciation Card - [...] Also, see how we save and display our kids’ artwork at home. [...]

Submit a Comment